Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Botulism

The first time I ever heard about botulism, or the bacterium clostridium botulinum that causes it, was when I was watching a news story on a woman who became paralyzed after eating infected hamburger meat. She was a dancer. If I remember correctly, there was a huge ordeal about ground beef factories not being held accountable for tainted meat...especially since the origins of the various meat parts were/are not documented. The woman--whom I should do research on--tried to get the FDA to hone in on the issue.

The second time I heard about it was through the cosmetic treatment using clostridium botulinum to treat wrinkles or to block certain nerves. I would like to learn more about this food-borne pathogen because of the extreme damage it can do and what public health can do to keep the number of cases as low as they are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment